The original design was a wooden analog of the Stanley Workmate and I snagged the plans from issue #88 of Woodsmith, an excellent publication that I highly recommend. My version of this unit included two slight modifications: I made it 6in. taller and I increased the overhang of the rear table segment, to accomodate a hole large enough to mount my router. My woodworking skills are not the best and I made a bit of a mess when trimming the table edges with my router, but hey, I made this workbench so I'd have a place to learn how to do good work! I'm looking forward to using it.
|Photo #1: Overall view of the contraption. It's held together by little brass latches which can be easily disengaged to disassemble and fold the unit for storage.|
|Photo #2: This is a dial indicator holder I cobbled together to measure the height of the router bit above the table.|
|Photo #3: Close-up of a little press-on tip that I turned. It gives the base of the gauge a larger footprint to make it easier to pick up the either the point or the edge of a router bit.|
|Photo #4: Rear view of the unit, with the slightly lengthened aft table. I used Poplar for the solid components (because it's cheaper than other woods in these parts) and the cheapest plywood I could find with a nice finish on both sides. Stability is not a problem and there is no tendency for the unit to tip.|
|Photo #5: All taken apart and folded up. With luck I'll take it out from time to time and actually do some work with it!|
Return to Jigs, Fixtures and Shop Hacks